By Dave Morley
5th June
Share via

Under 12's Win the Sherwood Colliery Tournament

On Saturday June 1st, the under 12's travelled to Debdale Park in Mansfield Woodhouse to try to regain the Sherwood Colliery Tournament trophy that they didn't get the opportunity to defend in 2018, having previously won it in 2017.

A scorching hot day was in store at a venue completely surrounded by trees. Drivers on the nearby road would not have known that a football club existed just a few yards away.

Having looked at the groups, AFC Kirk Hallam were drawn with:

Ravenshead Red Devils
Woodhouse Colts Blue
Beaufort United
Southwell City Dynamos

The first match was against Ravenshead Red Devils, who we had met before, nearly two years ago in the 2017 YEL Winter season. Ben Morley set up Ellis Shore for the first goal, Followed by Richard Frost assisting Charlie Richards to set the boys up with an opening 2-0 victory.

Next came Woodhouse Colts Blue. This was expected to be the toughest test as Woodhouse had just won YEL Sunday division 1. Two goals for Ellis Shore, both set up by Ben Morley and a great header from Josh Perkins after a Ellis corner said otherwise. 3-0. A highlight of this match was a ridiculous Cruyff turn by charlie Richards which also nutmegged the Woodhouse right back, who was a Derby Shadow squad player. The poor lad ended up crying.

Southwell City Dynamos from YEL division 6 followed this. Same result. Harris Khan, Ben Morley and Ellis Shore assisting Josh Perkins, Ellis Shore and Richard frost respectively provided the same scoreline.

The final group match came against long term rivals and friends, Beaufort United. These games are always close and against a very well organised team, the boys could not find a breakthrough, but still kept their clean sheet record intact with a 0-0 draw.

The boys finished their group stage with 3 wins and a draw, scoring 8 goals and not conceding.

The quarter final saw another Woodhouse Colts team. This time the whites from Saturday division 5. A ridiculous walking pace 7-0 win came from this match. A Ben Morley hat trick and two assists, two goals for Charlie Richards and one each for Josh Perkins and Ellis Shore and assists for Ellis and Harris Khan completed the route.

Now at played 5 scored 15 conceded 0.

The semi final saw the boys again facing Beaufort United. With the last game being so easy, the boys took an age to get going this match and ended up conceding their first goal in the tournament. This woke the lads up and Ben Morley quickly set up Ellis Shore to equalise, followed by Josh Perkins setting Ellis up for the winner late on.

The final put the boys against old enemy Robin Hood Colts, who had made it through their quarter final and semi final on penalties having been the worst side in both of those matches. Again, a slow start saw Kirk Hallam go behind, followed by an equaliser from Ben Morley after a great ball from Harris Khan. It was now all Kirk Hallam, but they could not get the breakthrough they needed and had to take the game to penalties.

Step up Caleb Topley. With both teams scoring their first three penalties (Ben Morley, Ellis Shore and Charlie Richards all scoring) it went to sudden death. Richard Frost, Liam Evans and Charlie Richards all scored theirs and then Caleb Topley made a stunning save to win the tournament for Kirk Hallam.

Well done boys

Share via