By Dave Morley
9 June
Share via

Under 12's Win the Heanor Juniors Tournament

On Saturday June 8th, the under 12's took the short trip to Charleshill Leisure Centre in Heanor on our first visit to the Heanor Tournament.

The weather could not have been any different to the previous weekend at Sherwood Colliery. Heavy rain and strong winds were what we had this week, resulting in some wet people and a broken club gazebo.

There were two groups of four teams, with all matches taking place on one pitch. This meant some really long waits in between matches.

Kirk Hallam were drawn with
Heanor Juniors
Barrow Town Falcons
Codnor Boys

The first match was against the hosts. A close and rather ill tempered game resulted in a 0-0 draw, with Heanor probably shading the possession, but Kirk Hallam creating the better chances. A draw probably a fair result as the lads were all tired having been at their presentation night the evening before.

The second match was against Barrow Town Falcons, who had won their first match 4-0. The lads were a little cautious as this might have been a decent team to play against. Kirk Hallam won the match 2-0 through goals from Logan O'Connor and Richard Frost, having still not got out of first gear.

The third match cam against Codnor Boys. The boys finally woke up and totally dominated the game. Goals from Charlie Richards, Harris Khan and Noah Bagley giving the team a 3-0 victory.

The semi final came against Spondon Crusaders, who were playing a year up. In a dominant game, the breakthrough came in the second half through Ben Morley, quickly followed by a goal for Martim Dos Santos taking them through to the final with a 2-0 scoreline.

The final saw Kirk Hallam meet Heanor again. By now, Kirk Hallam had found their game and were playing some great football. Charlie Richards gave Kirk Hallam the lead in the first half and the team should really have pushed on from there. Having been easily on top all through the match, there was a call for a foul against Finley O'Neill which would've given Heanor a free kick on the edge of the area. As it was, the referee made the correct decision and did not penalise Finley as he had been pushed over and the ball hit him. The match finished 1-0 to Kirk Hallam, but should have really been 3 or 4 based on the chances created and the fact that Heanor didn't manage a single shot in this match, despite getting into a good position on a couple of occasions.

The boys went through the entire tournament without conceding a goal, taking their tournament tally this summer to 2 out of 2, with this being their 8th trophy in the two years since the team was formed.

Well done boys

Share via